Black Mold and its Harmful effects on your Health

Black mold growing in your house spells danger and not many are aware of this fact. This greenish black substance looks like ordinary mold and thrives on moisture. The toxic species of this mold is scientifically known as Stachybotyrs.

Let us find out why this fungus is such a big threat and its harmful effects on human health.

Why is Black Mold Dangerous?

The biggest threat of this fungus can be associated to the microscopic spores that it releases. The poisonous substance known as mycotoxins that is carried by the spores is capable of damaging our lungs; it also causes other life threatening effects.

However, mild exposure to this fungus can trigger allergies and irritation in our body. The decree of seriousness of the symptom also depends on an individual’s immunity level. As such, reactions can be different for every individual exposed to this fungus.

Recognizing the Symptoms

The primary symptoms of mild or short term exposure to this fungus are similar to those of hay fever.

Allergy and Irritation

Most people are likely to suffer from allergic reactions after a brief exposure to this fungus. It is likely for allergy patients to have a runny nose, constant coughs, sore throat and teary eyes. Irritants from the fungus can give you a red eye that itches and gets worse on rubbing.

Fever and Headache

Individuals with low immunity may experience fever and headaches within a short while of coming in contact with black mold. Long term or concentrated exposure can lead to pneumonia.

Breathing Difficulty

Exposure to this fungus is known to trigger asthma in patients. Other individuals are likely to experience wheezes and slight difficulty in breathing when in contact with this mold. If the exposure is prolonged and the reaction is severe, people experience chronic coughing that can lead to lung bleeding and damage.

Serious Health Risks

Prolonged and constant exposure to S.Chartarum can give rise to serious illnesses.

  • In one of the statements of CDC, it has been clearly pointed out that growth of this toxic mold in the house can cause health risks among the family and especially infants. The spores of this fungus, if inhaled can cause lung bleeding in individuals with weak lungs. Effects on baby can be extremely dangerous as the small, developing lungs of babies are highly vulnerable to any kind of attack.
  • The spores of this fungus can attack our immune system and especially our respiratory system. Some of the grave consequences that it can cause to our respiratory system include pulmonary hemorrhage and asthma.
  • The trichothecene mycotoxins from this fungus can damage the brain cells of an individual. It can thus lead to anxiety, depression and shot term memory in a person.
  • Your skin is at prime risk of coming in contact with this fungus. Black mold on clothes and onions cannot be discerned easily. Individuals coming in contact experience skin problems like rashes, crawling skin and dermatitis.
  • Other symptoms of severe reaction and exposure include chronic headaches, nose bleeding, nausea and vomiting.


The best way to combat this unwanted fungus is by moisture control or drying areas in the house that are stuffy and damp; water leakage problems should be taken care of immediately.

Other measures include controlling the humidity level in your house, good ventilation and usage of exhaust fans. Allow enough sunlight and air to enter your house. The CDC recommends people to vacate old and dilapidated houses that has this poisonous fungus growing almost everywhere.

This knowledge about the health risks associated with this fungus is aimed to make everyone cautious. You never know how something this insignificant can be a cause of unbearable misery and pain in the family. Get rid of black mold today and lead a healthy and happy life.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s